Saturday, January 12, 2008

Research: Sampling//Part-to-Whole





This research started off from a idea I had after my mid review sometime in October. The idea was to take two things that I was really interested in, architectural and non-architectural, these being the part and whole relationship and techno music while combining them in some way. This idea then morphed into using sampling from DJ culture and electronic music and using it as a analogy for combining the part to whole relationship into the process one would undertake by creating techno. There is a correlation between the design project and my idea.

First I'll explain the project for the class, we were to design an archive, that was located in Detroit within the people mover. The people mover is an elevated railway system that circles the downtown area of Detroit. What we archived was totally up to us and the site was also up to us, as long as it was within the people mover. The class was ran in the following way; we were given a piece of the ingredients and we had to figure out the rest of the recipe, which I though was great. I decided to archive techno and electronic music. I did this for the following reasons: 1. I appreciate the music and 2. Detroit is the birth place of techno. The site I decided to use was right next to the people mover. So the research I produced started by taking photos that I took while in Detroit. I then used a particular photo to sample out many parts. Then I used the part and came up with a greater whole, multiple times.

The parts were taken into rhino. I only allowed myself to use only two parametric moves at the most to produce the whole.

The first set of images is the photo I used, zoomed in and sampled. The rest is just a couple of studies I did with the parts and the whole make up. These are only a few of them just to show, I have way too many to show all of them. If you want to see the whole booklet tell me and I'll email it to you. I believe its email size.

Next upload will be my final design. I needed to show this first in order for you to understand the premise of the design.

No comments: